Post-Secondary Transfer

For Fall 2017, admission applications open July 1, 2016, and the deadline to apply is March 1, 2017.

The University of Alberta welcomes post-secondary transfer applicants from across Canada! This information also applies to UAlberta students transferring internally from one faculty/program to another.

Please refer to the University Calendar for additional information for post-secondary transfer applicants. 

International applicants: Please refer to our International website.

General transfer requirements

Admission to all undergraduate programs is competitive and subject to available space. 

As a transfer applicant, you will be evaluated on both your both high school and post-secondary coursework. Admission requirements vary by program, please refer to Program Requirements for more information. Admission Chart 3 of the University Calendar lists transferable post-secondary credit which will be substituted in cases where applicants do not present the appropriate high school subjects.

Transfer Credit

Note: Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot offer preliminary advising. Applicants must first complete and submit an application for admission before we will assess their post-secondary courses for transfer credit.

Transfer credit is automatically assessed when your application is evaluated. When possible, transfer credit is given for exact course equivalents. When an exact course equivalent does not exist, unspecified transfer credit is granted as closely as possible to the subject level (e.g., ENGL 1XX), or general level (e.g., Arts Option 1XX). This credit may be considered in meeting degree program requirements. Please refer to the sections below for specific information based on where your previous education was completed.

Once transfer credit has been approved, it will be reflected on your Transfer Credit report in Bear Tracks

For more details, see Transfer of Credit in the University Calendar, and see the dropdown sections below.

Additional notes:

  • If we use a transferable post-secondary-level course to meet a high school course requirement for admission, we will also consider the course for transfer credit.
  • Transfer credit will be granted for 100-level language courses (or equivalent) that have been successfully completed, except where a high school (Grade 12 level) course in the same language has also been successfully completed.
  • In the granting of transfer credit, when students are instructed "not to take" or "not to do" a specific course, and a generic 100-level credit is granted, this credit will be used to meet the pre-requisite for any higher level course requiring the specific course in question.
  • Faculties have the right to deny transfer credit for courses taken far enough in the past that the material could be considered out of date. Students whose course work is identified as out of date may be required to replace or update the course work concerned. Students should consult with the appropriate faculty.
  • Where students have been granted unspecified transfer credit or no transfer credit for university-level study but believe their completed post-secondary work meets a specific requirement for their program, they should review the program requirements in the faculty section of the Calendar and then contact an academic advisor in the appropriate faculty. Some program requirements can be met with unspecified transfer credit and a specific course equivalent may not be necessary.
  • All questions about the applicability of transfer credits to specific degree requirements should be directed to an academic advisor within the appropriate faculty. Students may be required to supply detailed course outlines.
  • Transfer credit is approved for the program a student is admitted to. Should a student wish to transfer from one program to another at the University of Alberta any previously assessed post-secondary work is re-evaluated for the new program, and may or may not be applicable.

Applicants from Alberta Institutions

If you are planning on transferring to the University of Alberta from another Alberta post-secondary institution, you can check which courses are transferable by consulting the Transfer Alberta website or mobile app (iOS / Android). 

University of Calgary / University of Lethbridge / Athabasca University:

Transfer equivalents between these institutions and the University of Alberta are not listed in the Transfer Alberta guide. If you are transferring from one of these institutions, your courses will be accepted for credit (provided that you meet the grade and degree program requirements).

Mount Royal University / MacEwan University:

Transfer agreements between these institutions and the University of Alberta for 100- and 200-level courses can be found in the Alberta Transfer Guide. While many 300- and 400-level course equivalents are also referenced in the guide, the University of Alberta will also consider for transfer credit additional 300- and 400-level courses not listed, as long as they are taken within a degree program and meet minimum grade and University of Alberta degree program requirements.

Note that while a transfer agreement may exist, your transferable coursework must also meet the requirements of the program to which you have been admitted. This also applies when transferring from one program to another at the University of Alberta. In these cases, all post-secondary work is re-assessed for the new program and previously granted transfer credit may or may not be applicable.

Advanced Standing for AP and IB Coursework

If you achieve a final IB grade of 6 or higher or a final AP grade of 4 or higher, you may be eligible to receive Advanced Standing.

For more detailed information, visit International Baccalaureate Students or Advanced Placement Students.

Applicants from other provinces and territories

Courses taken at other research-intensive universities shall be accepted for credit, subject to meeting University of Alberta grade and program requirements. For post-secondary institutions attended outside of Alberta, the university will normally grant transfer credit for university-level courses that are transferable to the research-intensive universities within that province, subject to meeting minimum grade and program requirements. References used are online provincial transfer guides such as the BC Transfer Guide and ONTransfer.

Residency Requirements

Generally, up to 60 transfer credits (★60), or its equivalent (e.g., 10 full courses or 20 half courses), are allowed in any program, subject to meeting faculty requirements. Therefore transfer credit is generally limited to the first two years of an undergraduate degree program (100- and 200-level courses), however credit at a more senior level is possible with the approval of the faculty concerned.


Get quick answers to your questions, 24 hours a day! Simply visit Ask Student Connect, type in your question, and click "Ask." You can also check out related questions and view the Top 10 Questions that other users have asked Student Connect.